As Head of Technology Infrastructure for Fisher Investments, you will be responsible for development of strategy and ongoing leadership of on premise and cloud infrastructure services and delivery of mission-critical technology infrastructure services. You will lead Fisher Technology’s critical change management, incident response and problem management processes and will ensure the highest level of availability for Fisher Investment clients and services. You will help design and re-engineer the infrastructure to enable continued business growth with acceptable levels of risk. By driving continuous improvement in service delivery and cost, you will promote a customer-centric organization culture and a service-oriented mindset focused on expanding technology infrastructure capabilities and delivering innovative technology solutions.
The position reports to the CTO/Executive Vice-President of Technology and can be based in either San Mateo, CA or Camas, WA.
- Lead, implement and maintain a comprehensive strategy for highly available, reliable, resilient, scalable, and cost-effective engineering and operations of on premise and cloud network and telecommunications infrastructures. This includes data and telecom networks, desktop support, NOC, helpdesk, containers, operating systems, databases, file systems and data centers.
- Engineer and deliver on premise and cloud infrastructure needed for Fisher Investments considering business requirements, performance, availability, agility, and cost. This includes data center, distributed compute, storage, database, data and voice network, and associated IT Service Management processes (incident, problem, change, capacity, etc.).
- Create a flexible service change management process that ensures that the changes are implemented with an appropriate level of care, including monitoring to ensure success and plans for rapid backout, based on the changes’ risk profile and potential impact to the operation of the business.
- Create, lead, implement and maintain the Network Operations Center (NOC) function with responsibility for service quality and event monitoring and the global technology critical incident response process that ensures escalation to the right level of expert and notification to management leadership based on expected impact.
- Lead implementation and maintenance of the Fisher Investments’ employee help desk.
- Develop, test and maintain, disaster recovery plans (DRP) and business continuity plans (BCP) for the technology that supports critical business functions.
- Lead, implement and maintain a program for continuous improvement in service delivery, agility, automation and cost efficiency of all Technology Infrastructure services and processes.
- Define and monitor operational metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs). Benchmark where possible against the market. Lead a continuous improvement mindset within the Technology Infrastructure organization related to operational metrics and KPIs.
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with key external vendors and service providers.
- Stay current with market trends, new products, and innovative technologies that can be used for business advantage by Fisher Investments. Engage with new vendors and complete proof-of-concept activities.
- Define and implement an organization-wide plan to support migration to and use of the cloud in Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) based on business need
- Lead a team of 80+ employees.
- Responsibility for management of an annual financial budget, including ongoing cost optimization activities to lower unit costs.
- Communicate the financial implications and value of Technology Infrastructure activities to technology and internal business partner executives.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, engineering, finance or business administration.
- MBA or advanced degree desirable.
- Industry certification in a relevant area is a plus.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in technology primarily focused on technology infrastructure.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in a senior leadership role(s) with a track record for building high quality teams.
- Demonstrated experience with senior business and technology stakeholders across the organization, effectively leading change, originating ideas, and championing and gaining commitment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; articulate and effective communicator and presenters with a demonstrated ability to describe complex problems and solutions in simple or understandable terms.
- Experience with cloud based technologies, integrations and design; and the latest mobile architectures.
- Experience leading a transition to the cloud for business-critical functions.
- Demonstrates both strong analytic and big picture capabilities in problem solving approaches
- Ability to consider upstream and downstream process impacts and implications.
- Ability to establish and manage priorities in a high change environment.
- Proven ability to execute swiftly without compromising quality.
- Exhibits acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges.
- Versatility and willingness to work in dynamic environment with positive outlook and energy.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies, including public cloud infrastructure, software defined networking, and Infrastructure as a Service model.
- Proven experience with modern technology service delivery frameworks including Agile, DevOps and Continuous Integration/Continuous deployment.
- Demonstrated experience leading large-scale change initiatives with enterprise level impact including programs with extensive use of third party providers.
- History of managing third party service provider and vendor relationships including large, global managed service contracts with service delivery teams.
- Proven success in leadership demonstrated by the ability to build, develop and retain high performing and highly effective teams.
- History of being a company-wide change-agent that influences strategic actions and mindset changes.
- Large-scale project leadership and delivery using modern project management methodologies.
- A continuous improvement mindset with demonstrated ability to drive programs that gain efficiencies, increase agility and have measurable key performance indicators and metrics.
- Solid people leadership capabilities including guiding and coaching team members when required, developing talent, and ensuring accountability for commitments that are made.
- Solid understanding of security, preferably in a regulated or financial services industry.
Why Fisher Investments:
Fisher Investments is a different kind of investment firm. We don’t come from Wall Street, nor do we believe we fit in with most of the finance industry, and we’re proud of that. We work for a bigger purpose: bettering the investment universe. From unmatched service to innovative perspectives on investing, it’s the people that make the Fisher purpose possible. After all, it’s our people that enable us to offer the level of service that we do. And we invest in them accordingly, offering exceptional benefits like:
- 100% coverage of premiums for health, vision and dental insurance
- A 50% 401(k) match, up to the IRS maximum
- 20 days of PTO*, plus 9 paid holidays
- And much, much more
We also provide a cumulative, continuous learning and development framework customized for every employee. This emphasis on personal and professional growth has yielded an award-winning work environment; we’re Great Place to Work Certified, and The Oregonian named us as a 2017 and 2018 Top Workplace.
But in the end, it’s not the perks that keep people here. They stay because they believe in our mission of service—our employees want to make a difference in an industry that can do better.
* California employees accrue up to 17 days of PTO and 3 days of sick time per year.
FISHER INVESTMENTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER